Powered by

Home Featured

IIT roommates launched an online platform to buy/sell cattle in India, revenue jumped from Rs 5 lakh in FY21 to Rs 7.4 Cr in FY22, last valued at Rs 565 Cr

Animall, founded by two IIT grads is a Bengaluru-based online platform that has transformed the cattle trading industry in India.

By Naina Yadav
New Update
IIT roommates launched an online platform to buy/sell cattle in India, revenue jumped from Rs 5 lakh in FY21 to Rs 7.4 Cr in FY22, last valued at Rs 565 Cr

Animall, a Bengaluru-based online platform, has transformed the cattle trading industry in India. The company was established in 2019 and offers a digitized platform for the buying and selling of cattle in India, as well as animal healthcare services. 

In a country where cattle trading is an unorganized sector, Animall's platform is a welcome change for dairy farmers who struggle to make consistent profits.

The Story

The founders of Animall, Anurag Bisoyi, Kirti Jangra, Libin V Babu, and Neetu Yadav, set out to uplift the lives of dairy farmers by making cattle trading and dairy farming a profitable space to operate in. 

The idea for Animall was first conceived in June 2019 during an internal hackathon held by Pratilipi, a storytelling platform. The team behind Animall emerged as the winners of both the jury and audience awards. 

Following this success, they began working on Animall as a weekend project in August 2019 and soon began to see a strong response from users.

As they continued to develop Animall, the team spoke to hundreds and eventually thousands of dairy farmers to better understand their needs and solve some of their problems in non-scalable ways. After gaining further insight into this untouched and interesting market, they made the decision to pursue Animall full-time in November 2019.

Growth in scale

The startup has seen tremendous growth over the years, as shown by its financial statements with the RoC. In FY22, Animall recorded a 148X jump in operating scale, from Rs. 5 lakh in FY21 to Rs. 7.4 crore in FY22.

The startup's revenue is mainly generated from cattle trading, which accounts for 90% of its revenue, while the remaining 10% comes from healthcare, artificial insemination, and marketplace commission. 

In FY22, Animall's finance income stood at Rs. 3.94 crore, bringing its total collection to Rs. 11.34 crore. 

The startup's total expenditure in FY22 was Rs. 55.54 crores, with 32.5% of the expenditure spent on selling and distribution. The cost for selling and distribution was Rs. 18.04 crore in FY22, compared to Rs. 9.62 crore in FY21.

The startup's employee benefits cost was Rs. 7.9 crore and its outsourced operating expenses were Rs. 6.31 crore. The cost of materials and legal fees was Rs. 3.61 crore and Rs. 3.43 crore, respectively. 

Despite the increase in revenue, Animall's losses increased 3.5X from Rs. 12.64 crore in FY21 to Rs. 44.2 crore in FY22. At the unit level, the startup spent Rs. 7.51 to earn Rs. 1.

Animall has received substantial funding, with investments from renowned investors such as Beenext, Sequoia, Nexus Ventures, and Rocketship.vc, totalling around Rs. 170 crores. The funding has helped the startup to expand its operations and introduce new features on its platform.

Animall's platform has brought significant benefits to the cattle trading industry, which has struggled with an unorganized space for years. 

The platform has simplified the buying and selling of cattle for farmers, enabling them to access a broader market and sell their products at better prices. It has also made it easier for farmers to access healthcare services for their animals, which can help prevent diseases and increase productivity.

In conclusion, Animall is an excellent example of a startup that has transformed an industry by offering a digitized platform for cattle trading and animal healthcare services. Its platform has enabled dairy farmers in India to operate in a profitable space, and its growth over the years is a testament to its success. 

Although the startup has recorded losses, its potential for growth and profitability is high, and with continued investment, it could revolutionize the cattle trading industry further.